Richmond High School Choices
There are some big opportunities for Richmond families to advocate and show your passion for more secondary education options for Richmond children.
Following on from the community meeting hosted by Adam Bandt at Richmond Library on Monday 19 November, there is another public forum being held this week.
When: Thursday 22 November 2012 @ 7PM
Where: Hawthorn Secondary College, Burgess Street, Hawthorn East
facebook event details: http://www.facebook.com/events/297951846973144/
If you are unable to attend the meeting, but would like more information following the forum, join the Richmond High School Choices Mailing List here.
2011: in brief
In May 2011, Martin Dixon, the Minister of Education wrote to us to indicate that:
- the local arrangements (outlined below) will continue through 2012 and 2013; and
- he has directed the Department to review the provision of government school education in the City of Yarra
2009: what happened?
In 2009, of Richmond students completing year 6:
- of girls, 80% attend Melbourne Girls College and 92% remain in the public education system
- of boys, 6.5% attend Collingwood College and 61% remain in the public education system
2010-2013: options for Richmond families
Families living in Richmond and for whom Collingwood College is their neighbourhood school also have the option of sending their child to Fitzroy High School or Princes Hill Secondary College. Girls may also attend Melbourne Girls College.
Hawthorn Secondary College does not have an enrolment ceiling — any student can enrol there.
Families that live in Abbotsford or for whom Hawthorn Secondary College is the neighbourhood school have
Stay in touch
Stay in touch by dropping us a note and we’ll keep you updated from time to time:
contact [at] richmondhighschoolchoices [dot] org
Speak to a politician
Martin Dixon MP, LIB, Member for Nepean, Minister for Education.
Richard Wynne MP, ALP, Member for Richmond Tel: 9415 8901.
- area map of public secondary schools near Richmond
- 2007-05-15 – handout at a public meeting
- 2007-08-09 – an open letter to all interested parents
- 2010-07-10 Melbourne Leader shines a spotlight on the limited government high school options in Richmond
- 2010-10-04 The Brumby Government commits to:
- a review of secondary school provision for boys in the inner-city
- extended school entry arrangements for Richmond families
- 2010-10-11 letter from Richmond High School Choices to local parents encouraging participation in the review and expressing hope that the review might deliver positive outcomes for inner-city families and redress imbalances facing boys and those seeking co-educational options.
- 2010-10-18 Melbourne Leader story on the promised government review into secondary school provision for boys in the inner city
- 2011-10-27 Baillieu Government elected
- 2012-08-25 boys vs girls in education – by a local parent